Friday, December 16, 2011

Kindle for Christmas?

Three years ago I got a Kindle for Christmas. It is one of the earliest versions and I love it. Two years ago I bought both my teenage girls Kindles for Christmas. This year my 14 year son wanted a Kindle for Christmas.
When I bought my Kindle it was very expensive, now they are around $80.

I guess because I was one of the earliest users many of my friends have asked my advice on whether they should purchase a kindle for their son or daughter for Christmas.

Well here are the pros and cons; this is for the old Kindle, I will get to the new Kindle Fire later.

Pros:
Price is $80, can read it in the sun, can read to you, make words larger (this is for people over 40), play music, some can get on internet, share books with family and friends, upload books within seconds, many free books, have app on phone or I Touch or I pad and therefore able to read if you do not have a book or are waiting in line.

Cons:
Can not read in the dark, needs a light, scary to read in the bath (but I do), if you have an I Touch, or I pad can download the free app and read books on that device (might hurt your eyes), that last one is a pro and con.

Kindle Fire: I do not own one but I have seen them and they are basically a smaller I pad with more apps. They are cheaper than an I pad but they can download games, books etc. You can also share books. But if you own an I pad you can also share books with the app or read your books on your PC.

Do not know much about the Nook. I do know that Nook and Kindle can not share books. I also know that if you want to organize your books on your PC you can download a software program (safe from website) called Calibre. That software will allow you to add or delete books,download books, add writings from your PC to your Kindle and so on. But the Nook can not download from the Kindle using that software, only Kindle can download from Nook- allowing to share books.

So my opinion about the Kindle might be quite obvious. It is cheap and my kids are reading so I love it.
I read an article that claimed that ebooks will not take over the book industry. I am not too sure about that. My favorite part about the Kindle is that I can download a book instantly.
I am an inpatient person.
We had three book stores located near where I live. Waldon books, about 10 minutes away with not much selection. Barnes and Noble located 30 minutes away and Borders about 30 minutes away.
Only Barnes and Noble is still in business. I think the only reason they are still around is because of the sales from the Nook.

I know that the classic book will always be around. There is nothing like a new book, I love to hold and smell and treasure those books. But I really love pressing that buy button and seconds later reading that same book I would have had to drive 30 minutes away to purchase.
I love my Kindle!



No comments:

Post a Comment