Monday, May 16, 2011

It's been a while.....

Yes, I know it has been a while since I have up dated. Many of you might have thought I was traveling the country or got lost on some huge humanitarian african school project or that I had finally gotten put away in a safe secure home somewhere, but it was non of the above.
I was at a much worse place...... school.
Yes, I too have resorted to returning to that dreaded place. Luckily some school memories fade, just like pregnancy memories, and we forget the horrific pain it causes.
I guess my life was not busy enough, in January I decided to take 2 classes. This would give me just enough of a challenge in my busy mom life.
I was right, I got JUST ENOUGH!
So I started out small, sign up, take the accuplacer tests, tour the college, find my books, find my classes, make sure the professors were nice and easy, get a parking pass, buy a book bag, buy the folders, spirals,pencils, pens, plenty of erasers, etc and of course a new outfit for the first day and I was on my way.
The first day came very fast for me, driving to school was very much like riding on that long bus ride that takes you up to the start of a marathon. Watching each mile pass knowing you had to get back to the starting point someway. I knew I had to follow through with this, my family were all watching from the sidelines cheering me on. That ride to school was just as scary!

My first class- English. Something I was always good at. No sweat!
Until he writes on the board, "write an essay about someone in your life that has impacted your life through their service." I know, it didn't make sense to me either... but he is the English professor.
Ok, panic has set in, time to complete this essay, 50 minutes, brain shuts down and goes into comatose mode. As the clock ticked by I could not think of a single person or thing that happened to me. I just kept looking around at these little kids that had lived half of my life and experienced half of the things I had and their pens were just going a mile a minute. Why could I not think? What was wrong with me?

Finally school mode seems to set in, I write something completely horrible only to finish within seconds of class being over.
Ok, first class over.

Things I learned from school so far:
1. I am old and can't remember things like writing essays.
2. some Professors are just like high school teachers, full of themselves and still are perverts.

On to my 2nd class. Walking down the hall, full of kids all my children's ages, full of people flirting, laughing, joking so calm, so easy going. Me, scared, old and late walking very fast to my second class in my new outfit.

Math. Always sit in the front of the class so you can see and look very conscientious right? Wrong, not for me that day. Little did I know I had left my tag on my new shirt. A sticker saying- LARGE!
Luckily for me a nice girl behind me, that is a few rows behind me( no one was sitting up as close as I was) told me about it and I was able to remove it. But I am sure all of my first class saw it and all the kids down the hall and now all of my math class.
Fun for me!
So as I left my first day of school after 22 years of returning to school I felt like falling into a large pit and burying myself.
I think the very worst part of the whole day was when I retold by school experience back to my high schoolers and watching them each bury their faces in their hands, shaking their high school heads with an expression of doom in their eyes, and I knowing that even my own children would never include me into their social group at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment